Food cooked on an open fire takes on a special taste. The meat becomes incredibly juicy, the vegetables acquire a more pronounced aroma, and how crispy, and golden the potato becomes. To avoid cooking failures at the stake, it is important to choose the right pan, and this task may not be as simple as it seems at first glance.
Types of cookware for a fire.
The following types of pans that can be used for cooking over an open fire.
- Universal round. This model is suitable for frying, and stewing, as well as for sauteing vegetables.
- Brazier. Round dishes with two handles, most suitable for baking food.
- Deep pan. It often resembles a cooking pot and, depending on the depth, you can even cook soup in it. This is true for those who love fishing and relaxing near the water.
- Tajine. Deep round or oval pan with a highly elongated lid. It simultaneously evenly heats the contents, and processes it with steam. The option is not marching, but rather cottage, when on an open fire you need to cook a serving of food for many guests.
- Tapa. This pan comes from Georgia, it has a square shape and a cover press. It cooks any meat and vegetables.
Between themselves, pans also vary in size. Three types stand out:
- a small frying pan with a diameter of less than 35.5 cm;
- average size — from 35.5 to 40 cm in a circle;
- large dishes — from 40 centimeters or more.
Pans vary not only and depth, but also in material. The two main types that are used for working on an open fire is cast iron pans and steel pans. Each species has its own advantages, and disadvantages.
First, let’s talk about the cast-iron version, for which you can list the following positive characteristics:
- the ability to retain heat for a long time, since in nature, where the wind blows, everything cools much faster;
- food in such dishes is heated evenly, does not burn and leaves no chance for unheated, or unbaked areas;
- a cast iron skillet does not rust, which means that it will last you a very long time;
- the cast-iron coating does not react with food and does not oxidize, which has a beneficial effect on the quality of the prepared dishes.
Unfortunately, a cast-iron frying pan for a fire has properties with a minus sign.
- Weight. If you do not travel by car, but use bicycle or do it on foot, the weight of your luggage will matter. Cast iron cookware is massive and not too convenient for transportation.
- Initially uncomfortable handle. Often cast iron pans are made without them. This is because the alloy of the pan is solid, and the handle heats up simultaneously with the rest of the surface. Taking a hot pan from the fire will not be so easy. If you repurchase a separate wooden handle, the task will be greatly simplified.
Remember one rule — the more such dishes weigh, the better. If you understand that a flat pan is enough for you to travel, take it with or without low sides, but the pan should be thick.
It is best to take dishes with a lid, which should not be cast iron. Here you can save the total weight of your equipment and take a glass lid that is suitable. Pay attention to the coating. The bottom should be flat, without flaws. If you see a hilly surfaced or crack, then this product is defective and should not be taken.
Now we will consider solid steel frying pan, then it is good.
- She’s lighter. Convenient not only flat small models, but even pans with a thick bottom and high sides.
- The material is also not susceptible to rust and oxidation. Exceptions are cases where the surface has been damaged.
- When the surface is heated, no harmful substances are released, and the food does not acquire specific odors.
- An important point for a good housewife is appearance. Shiny almost mirror surfaces look spectacular, it is very pleasant to cook in them.
The number of minuses in stainless steel is not so numerous. They mainly related to the external component. When cooking at the stake, the outside of the pan may become dark with stains. It is recommended to clean them only with soft creamy products, without abrasives in the composition, otherwise the dishes will lose the same attractive shine.
How to choose the right one?
The process of cooking at the stake can conditionally be divided into two options: hiking or touring and home (cottage). For obvious reasons, the choice of dishes, depending on the location of cooking, will be different. In camping conditions, it is better to take small dishes with you to prepare portions of fresh food and not leave excesses that, most likely, will have nowhere to store. If you have a large company, it is better to cook food twice than to take large boilers with you. Moreover, a campfire holiday often stretches for several hours, and you will still spend timed there.
Do not forget that the weight of the pan will increase the total weight of your luggage. Calculate your strength correctly.
If you have a barbecue in your country house or country cottage, the choice of dishes will be dictated more likely by the number of people on whom you set the table. This can be a large dish or small fries pan. If you are gathered at the table no more than Three people, then you are quite enough and a little dishes. The average size of the pan allows you to cook 4-5 servings. Well, large volumes are intended for noisy and crowded evenings.
Follow the rules for handling hot objects, and do not forget about protective gloves, and hot sands. And when working with open fire; be on the alert, and always keep at hand water or sand, which in an emergency can extinguish a creeping fire.