Now there are a lot of hiking enthusiasts. And in a campaign, the time of which can be very long, in any case it is necessary to have lunch and eat.
What dishes to take with you on a hike? The answer to this question depends on many circumstances: the type of trip, its complexity and duration, the expected weather conditions and, in the end, on how much money you are willing to spend on a set of dishes.
What kind of dishes do you need for a hike?
The needs of tourists are growing. If students going camping in the 50s were content with a bowler hat, knife and spoon, today’s travelers do not want to limit themselves to comfort. And this is right: it is not necessary to communicate with nature, depriving yourself of domestic amenities.
If you go on an independent hike or are the leader of a group, in addition to personal dishes, you will need to bring dishes for general use with you, namely:
- chopping board.
- several knives for camping kitchen.
- cooking pot.
- a kettle or a separate pot for tea.
If you are used to comforting, pay attention to this list of dishes:
- Pots and pans for cooking.
- Bowls and plates.
- Knives, spoons, forks, ladles, scoops.
- Mugs, containers for brewing tea, thermoses.
What requirements should dish for tourists meet?
- Compactness: the volume of backpacks is limited.
- Ease: who wants to carry a few extra pounds?
- Durability: it makes no sense to bring along dishes that break in the first days.
- Hygiene: on trips there be not always enough water for washing dishes.
Features of modern dishes for tourists:
- Ease. Pots, spoons, bowls are made from ultralight alloys.
- Universality. Almost all food accessories is multi-functional today. So, on the website in the section: Camping kitchen, you will buy not just knives, forks, and spoons, but folding devices that occupy a minimum of space, but perform a lot of functions. It is not necessary to take plates for food either: the covers of the most pots are designed in such a way that they can be used as plates or bowls.
- Durability. All instruments are made of stainless alloys based on titanium.
- Hygiene With a lack of water, kitchen utensils and appliances are easy to clean with wet wipes.
- Aluminum cookware: it is lightweight, cheap, and its surface is able to distribute heat well. But she has her own flaw. It consists in the fact that it is sensitive to acids, so that no acids can be added to it during cooking. Also, such dishes are susceptible to damage. In addition, she is short-lived. Its service life is approximately Three years.
- Stainless steel. This material is more durable and resistant to damage. But they also have its drawbacks. In particular, it does not distribute heat well, and therefore food quickly burns in it. Sometimes now at the bottom of such a pan there is an aluminum layer that conducts heat well, and makes such dishes more convenient when cooking. But this option is not suitable for use at the stake.
- Also, between the layers of stainless steel, there may be carbon steel, which can conduct heat well. In such a pan you can cook food on a fire. But you must remember that stainless steel utensils are now quite expensive. However, it has more weights. But such dishes have a long shelf life.
- Titanium. This material is one of the most durable and reliable. Such dishes are suitable for those who are used to counting every gram in a campaign. Such dishes are lightweight, but they are quite expensive. In addition, she does not conduct heat very well.
- Plastic dishes are indispensable in the summer, at the time of hiking. Such dishes appeared in Russia recently, but now they can already be found everywhere. But such dishes are not only useful and convenient, but also harmful.
More on Cookware.
Mug and bowl.
A lightweight and inexpensive option are mugs and bowls made of plastic. However, plastic dishes are not the best solution for a trip, since when heated, plastic is able to release harmful substances into food. Mugs and bowls made of certain metals are inexpensive, and durable: for example, enameled steel dishes or aluminum dishes. The disadvantage of such dishes is that it quickly heats up — because of this there are a risk of burns. Tourist thermos and thermo dishes are dishes created especially for hiking. Hands cannot be burned about it, it is light, strong, and does not allow food to cool quickly. Such dishes are more expensive than the options described above, but it is more convenient and safer to use it. Usually specialized tourist dishes are made of titanium, anodized aluminum, stainless steel. Some mugs have a Carabinier handle.
For most trips, a folding knife that you can buy at a travel store, or even a kitchen knife, will suit you. Some more sophisticated options will be needed in extreme trips and survival trips, and if extreme sports are not included in your plans, then you will use the knife only for cooking dinners. Do not forget that any knife should be safely packed.
You can use a regular tablespoon during the trip, or you can prefer a tourist spoon which is also a fork and a can opener. Folding spoons are convenient — they take up little space in the backpack.
A bowler hat is perhaps one of the most important piece of equipment in a camp kitchen. First of all, it is worth mentioning the number of bowlers required during a trip. Usually, for a group of 10-12 people, 2-3 bowlers are taken, a larger number of bowlers are not worth taking, since you carry all the equipment on your own hump, and you absolutely do not need any extra cargo on the trip. A smaller number of pots will also create some difficulties, since as a rule one larger pot is used for making porridge, or soups, and the second for tea. The third one can come in handy for carrying extra water from the reservoir to the parking lot, and also when cooking food for large groups, it is more convenient to carry smaller pots that are inserted one into the other and cook in them at the same time as one huge one that does not fit into the backpack.
Calculating the volume of pots needed during the trip is quite simple, so for the preparation of soups and cereals, the volume is selected at the rate of half a liter per person, for making tea or stewed fruit, as a rule, a little more. In addition, we should not forget that when cooking at the stake, the evaporation of water is more intense, and therefore another 10-15% is usually added to the volume.
For the manufacture of pots mainly use steel, aluminum or titanium. The cheapest of these options are a steel pot. It is strong enough, due to this thin-walled, and therefore, lightweight. Steel pots with a thin wall, as a rule, do not tolerate deformation well and begin to flow. The disadvantage of aluminum and titanium pots can be attributed to their high cost, but they are more practical.
Aluminum pots are lightweight, they do not rust. Of the minuses — it can burn out at the stake (if there is absolutely no water in it), it is very poorly cleaned, moreover, it is not recommended cleaning it with sand or strong detergents to avoid removing the protective oxide layer. But this does not matter if, out of ignorance when you came home after a trip, you used some iron sponge to clean the soot and damaged this layer, you can easily restore it, just pour water into the pot and leave it for about an hour — the film will completely recover.
Stainless steel. The main differences are strength (if it is not riveted, but cast), durability and ease of maintenance. Compared to an aluminum pot, it is much easier to clean, but it weighs about two times heavier. Resistant to mechanical damage. The boil in it faster, but also quickly, and cools.
Titanium pots significantly benefit in many respects compared to aluminum and steel. It is unpretentious to clean, it can be cleaned with sand or any detergents. The food in it stays hot longer and practically does not burn, but when cooking, food must be stirred for uniform heating. The pot made of titanium has a very high strength and corrosion resistance. By weight, it is lighter than stainless steel, but heavier than aluminum. The only serious drawback is the price, but if you spend it once, you will provide yourself with an excellent camping bowler for many years.
It is worth paying attention to how the pot is made. More common are stamped, riveted or welded pots. The fastening of the handle of the pot requires special attention, since without a loose fastening the handle can cause burns. Therefore, before buying a kettle, carefully check the fastening of the handle!. During operation, you will have to clean the outside the boiler from the burning, which is a heat insulator. Therefore, pay attention to the external coating of the boiler, it will be subjected to mechanical stress quite often.
For carrying boilers in a backpack use covers, so as not to stain the contents of the backpack with soot. You can sew them yourself, but many models already have factory cases, pay attention to this when buying. Many pots are available with a lid, it is more convenient, since the water will boil faster and the cooking process will take you less time. And, therefore, you will have more time to relax. In addition, many pots are available with a lid that can be used as a bowl or pan, which will additionally save on the weight of dishes for the trip.
To take care of the bowler on a hike, it makes sense to take a sponge with you, which does not weigh much and at the same time copes well even with the most difficult dirt.